This afternoon I gave myself a challenge: To think of the last 34 years of my life and find 34 lessons I have learnt.
It took me a few hours, but I did it, and it was a beautiful experience – one that made me smile and almost shed a tear.
Here are 34 things I’ve learnt in 34 years:
- Before you can truly love someone else, you need to like yourself.
- Money seriously isn’t everything. And neither is climbing the corporate ladder.
- Don’t try and keep up with the boys when drinking.
- There will always be someone who will try to pull you down.
- Respect your body. It’s the only one you will ever have.
- When you stop looking for love you will find it.
- Music is good for the soul.
- Friends come and go, and that’s okay as you’ll make many more in your lifetime.
- Grief can be debilitating, but it will ease.
- Finding ones passion is hard, but once you find it – wow!
- Death brings out the good and bad in people, as does weddings.
- Difference and diversity are wonderful things that make the world we live in a truly amazing place.
- Unfortunately, even in 2012, women still need to work harder than men to gain respect in the workplace.
- It is okay to say no.
- If you are too nice you’re a pushover, if you push back you’re a bitch…apparently. These days I choose to be the later (although I’m apparently still too nice, god dammit!).
- A dog can be a woman’s best friend.
- Knowledge makes you wiser.
- There is beauty all around us – all you need to do is open your eyes.
- ‘Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts.’ – Nikki Giovanni, American poet, activist and author
- Your opinion does count for something.
- Don’t judge your success by others interpretations of the word.
- Find a doctor you feel comfortable with and ensure that you get regular check ups. Be honest with them, but also question them.
- The 30′s – for a woman – brings with it a feeling of comfort in your own skin (once you get over the whole 30 thing that is).
- Don’t let anyone crush your dreams – because people will try.
- Don’t wish your life away wishing you were older, because you will spend the later part of your life wishing you were younger and wondering where the years went.
- People come in all shapes and sizes. No one is perfect – even the supermodels.
- A good film is like a fine wine.
- It’s true what they say – the good things in life are free. I know that every time I play with my dog or I get a cuddle from my niece.
- Spend time with your Grandparents…and stop making excuses. Your time with them is precious, and no one will love you in the way that they do. This may be my one and only regret.
- One day you will need to exercise. Just try to find something that suits you.
- The ‘honeymoon’ period of any relationship fades…but sometimes you are left with something amazing. Other times – not.
- It is okay to walk away.
- Learn to let go of hatred. It turns you bitter.
- Let yourself be happy.
What do you think?
Why not give it a go – no matter how old you are?