23 Insightful Journal Prompts Perfect for Self-Reflection.
I’ve always loved journaling. From personal diaries riddled with teenage-angst riddled thoughts about boys through to travel journals of every trip I took in my 20’s, journaling has captured my life, while also helping me deal with depression, grief, heart ache and anxiety.
[Several research studies have found that writing in a journal can help to reduce stress.]
Sometimes though, baring your heart and soul, or even just writing for the hell of it is hard. It’s especially so if you don’t have any IDEAS. Which is why I’ve put together 23 insightful journal prompts perfect for self-reflection.
If you need some tips on journaling and how to get started, check out this post. And remember, there’s no right or wrong answer. Be honest, be raw, be authentic with yourself and just go with the flow.
1. Write a list of 10 things you are grateful for.
2. Reflect on one of the greatest life lessons you’ve ever learned. What was it and what did you learn? Perhaps you’ve forgotten what you learned – how could you incorporate those learnings into the way you live today?
3. How have you changed from the person you were 5 years ago? Is this positive?
4. Write a letter to your teenage self.
5. If you could run away, where would you go and why? Would you take anyone with you?
6. Reflect on the happiest moment of your life. Where were you, what were you doing, and who were you sharing it with? Reflect on every detail.
7. Let your mind run free and have some fun writing your very own bucket list!
8. Share one of your inner most secrets, something you’ve never told anyone.
9. How would you like to be remembered when you’re gone? You could even write your obituary.
10. Make a list of your priorities for the week, month or year. Are these aligned to what you really want to be doing in life?
11. What is your most treasured possession and why?
12. Make a list of the people in your life who genuinely believe in and support you. Explore why their support means so much to you.
13. What makes YOU unique?
14. Choose 3 photos of yourself across your lifetime and write about where you were, what you were doing, what you were like at that time, etc.
15. Who means the world to you and why? What traits of there’s do you value?
16. What can you do or change in your life to focus more on your health and wellbeing? Be honest.
17. Write a letter to your body telling it how you feel? This could be a love letter or letter of apology if you have been critical of your body in the past like me.
18. Write about your day or week so far. Did something good or bad happen? Are you feeling happy or sad? Did you learn or do something new?
19. How does journaling, writing or blogging help you?
20. Write the story of your family. You could explore your ancestral line, growing up with your family, if you’ve gone on to have your own family, tell that story.
21. If you could change one thing, what would it be and why. Or perhaps you wouldn’t change a thing. Why is that so?
22. What makes you feel happy / peaceful / fulfilled / other?
23. Write your own list of writing prompts to explore through journaling.
Happy reflecting and writing!
And don’t forget to download your FREE printable to inspire you in your writing and self-reflection!
In need of some more writing and reflection ideas?
And don’t forget to subscribe to my weekly newsletter!
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.