Bad days. We all have them and we all agree. Bad days suck.
What I find helpful is knowing firstly, that they won’t last forever.
Secondly, it’s important to know HOW to handle them, which is where this list comes into play.
Here’s 25 things to do when you’re having a bad day.
- Head to the beach and sit on the sand, watching the waves lap the shoreline whilst allowing the sea breeze to blow those troubles away
- Hug your pet, and if you don’t have one, hug someone else’s pet!
- Hang out with some kids doing kid-stuff. Play, colour, dance. Let your hair down and release your inner child
- Avoid social media for the day. Everything can wait. If it’s urgent, someone can pick up the phone and call you
- Taking it a bit further, unplug from technology. Leave your tablet and phone in the other room, close your laptop, keep the TV turned off
- Go for a walk. Try making it a mindful walk where you focus on every step, every movement, and on the feeling of your feet on the ground.
- Listen to your favourite music. If you’re at work, plug-in your headphones and pop on a podcast or some tunes to block out the work environment
- Meditate. If you’re at work don’t let this limit you. Head somewhere private (I’ll be honest, I’ve even retreated to the loo when desperate) to sit and breathe
- Binge-watch your favourite series or watch your fave movie
- Declare a couch / pyjama day
- Go for a drive. Turn the music up loud if you like and wind the windows down so you can sing at the top of your lungs while the air whips your hair around
- Surround yourself with positive people. Hang out with your favourite person
- Read an uplifting book
- Take a long hot shower or run yourself a bath
- Treat yourself to a therapeutic or relaxing massage
- Pick up the phone and CALL someone you love or haven’t heard from in ages. Make the time to talk with them without distractions
- Ask someone for a hug – hold the hug for 12 seconds to really experience that heart to heart connection
- Make yourself a cup of tea (tea is like a tonic, I can’t help it – I’m part English!)
- Go to the movies and watch something on the big screen. Enjoy the immersive experience for a few hours with some old-fashioned freshly made popcorn
- Take a mental health day
- Get crafty or artsy – I have a set of good colouring pencils and colouring books I love to sit down with
- Pour yourself a glass of wine and sit down to paint your nails your favourite colour. I have a rule though – no alcohol before 12pm unless I’m at high-tea or wake
- Go get your hair done, even if it’s just a wash and blow-dry. Make sure you say yes to a scalp massage if offered!
- Have sex
- Go back to bed (if you have the luxury) – because sometimes your bad day is because you didn’t get enough sleep. Believe me, most things can wait.
I’d love to hear your suggestions to add to the list! Leave them in the comments below.