As a naturopath and creator of The Bikini Cookbook series, Michelle Floate knows all about the challenges associated with weight loss.
Having lost 18kg through healthy eating and nutrition, Michelle is now sharing her experiences – and recipes – to help others on their weight loss journey.
Michelle’s Weight Loss Journey
For Michelle, weight has been an issue for as long as she can remember. Riding the roller coaster of weight gain and loss since high school, it was whilst on a trip to Turkey in 2011 when she had to don a bathing suit that she realised how unhappy she was with her body. That was when she decided enough was enough. The next time she had to wear a bikini, she would be slim, looking, and feeling good!
Not one to succumb to fad diets or starve herself, Michelle’s weight loss journey started with a sensible eating plan of 1400 calories per day and half an hour of walking daily.
Some of the changes Michelle made in her daily life were:
- Avoiding alcohol most of the time – alcohol contains calories and leads to over-eating
- Choosing the most nutritious and healthy foods available
- Avoiding ‘diet’ and ‘artificial low calorie’ foods
- Eating home-cooked meals most of the time
- Making events more about socializing than indulgence
- Focusing on food for nutrition and energy
- Still eating chocolate – but opting for quality over quantity
- On the off chance that she did eat more, she made sure that she fit in some extra walking.
Michelle also took one day off a month as a treat, where she could eat anything she wanted. She never felt compelled to go crazy though, as to her, the results she was seeing were more exciting
In the last few months, Michelle dropped to 1200 calories per day, and within 5 months was weighing 18kg less and was at her goal weight of 55kg. Feeling fabulous, on her next holiday she was able to don a bikini!
The Bikini Cookbook
The name of my cookbook was inspired by the joy it was to wear bikinis and this is how it became ‘the bikini cookbook’. I’m so happy with my body and am confident enough to put my butt on the front cover of The Bikini Cookbook!
Michelle believes that losing weight and getting healthy was the best thing she could have done for herself and is happy to have maintained a stable weight for several years. Fitness now takes on more importance in her life. She now runs several times a week and has the get-up to try different things and push herself even further.
Inspired by her own personal journey and her desire to help others realize the benefits of healthy eating and nutrition, Michelle is now helping people with their own health and weight loss journeys via her cookbook series ‘The Bikini Cookbook’:
I have never felt better, healthier or stronger. I’m thankful for the enjoyment I get from creating recipes and cooking and the knowledge I have about food and nutrition. I love my bikini cookbooks not just for the wonderful and exciting job I have created for myself but for the way I can share my story, recipes and hope for others to become their success story.
Michelle has been able to help people achieve their goals, including improvements in cholesterol and blood sugar levels, liver function, and weight loss:
It took me 8 months to lose 30kg with help from the Bikini Cookbooks. I’ve maintained my weight for 7 months now using the same books. They are my staple go-to guides; my family and I love them! – Monique
I’m one of many women who have these awesome cookbooks. I’ve lost over 22kgs in total, thanks to The Bikini Cookbook. I couldn’t have done it without Michelle’s amazing recipes. If you want to improve your life, lose weight, and eat yummy food, then The Bikini Cookbook is the way to go! This isn’t a fad diet. It’s all about changing your lifestyle for the better. – Julie
Michelle’s Top Tips
Don’t give up – keep motivated and stay strong. The results will come.
Some of Michelle’s top tips for healthy weight loss are:
- If you look after your body and do the right things, you will get your desired results
- Incorporate activity into your daily life, even if it’s a 30-minute walk every day
- Think ahead – start toning BEFORE you reach your target weight
- There is no need to over-exercise or thrash yourself at the gym
- If it’s not fun, don’t do it. If you drag yourself to the gym, cut it out and find something you love doing!
- Remember that everyone goes through a plateau – trust that by looking after your body and doing the right things you WILL get your desired results.
Michelle also stresses that not everyone has to follow a strict eating plan. It’s about finding what works best for them and taking it at their own pace so that it becomes a way of life, and not just a fad. It’s about losing weight in the healthiest way possible.