2016 has been HARD.
Personally, I refer to 2016 – and always will – as ‘the shit-storm of 2016’.
After our wedding on 15 January 2016 it was like an avalanche, followed by a tornado and endless floods of… shit.
Cold after flu after sinus infection.
The year had declared it would test us. It would test our sanity. And it would certainly test us in our first year of marriage.
I’m glad 2016 is nearly over, but I gotta pay credit where credit’s due and admit that there was a lot of goodness sprinkled throughout the shit-storm of 2016, and I certainly feel stronger for it.
But the question is, how can we turn it around? How can we make 2017 a lot better? And a lot less painful?
Here are 25 Small Ways To Be Happier This Year.
- Spend time with people who make your heart sing
- Practice forgiveness, even of yourself
- Don’t be so judgey… and if people judge you, ignore them
- Unplug often
- Spend more time with your loved ones
- Pay yourself a compliment – every day
- Let go of anger
- Learn something new
- Start small and change one thing in your life
- Tell others you love them, often
- Go gentle on yourself
- When you read something on Facebook, don’t read too much into it. And don’t presume you know what is happening. And don’t interpret it personally. After all, you don’t know what the person is thinking as you are not inside their head! Before you think, take it personally, or say something about someone, take a step back, breathe, and close Facebook
- Make a choice. If you aren’t living a life you love, then start building it.
- Learn to live in the now. After all, that’s where life happens
- Surround yourself with people who lift you up
- Focus on the positive. If that means turning off the news and acting all ‘ignorant-like’ then so be it
- Schedule in some fun. Once you do it enough, you’ll realise how much fun having fun is, and you’ll do it more often!
- Make self-care your priority. Here’s 64 ideas to help you on your way
- Celebrate the small things and the small wins
- Practice gratitude daily
- Be mindful and slow down in everything you do
- Listen to your own discomfort and embrace saying no
- Practice giving less fucks
- Chuck in the diet. Quit ‘cleanses’ and ‘detoxes’. Throw out the scales. Accept that when you go clothes shopping the sizes of clothes, and the mirrors and lighting in change rooms are … absolutely ridiculous, and love yourself as you are!
- Embrace and own whatever age you are turning this year. This year I turn 40. I’m gonna rock that shit, whilst attending one concert every month up until I turn 40!
“If you’re struggling, you deserve to make self-care a priority. Whether that means lying in bed all day, eating comfort food, putting off homework, crying, sleeping, rescheduling plans, finding an escape through a good book, watching your favorite tv show, or doing nothing at all — give yourself permission to put your healing first. Quiet the voice telling you to do more and be more, and today, whatever you do, let it be enough. Feel your feelings, breathe, and be gentle with yourself. Acknowledge that you’re doing the best you can to cope and survive. And trust that during this time of struggle, it’s enough.”
— Daniell Koepke
Before you leave, here’s another FREE gift for you
To help you on your way, here’s a free workbook to download and work through at your own pace. It’s called Finding Your Why, a workbook I’ve designed to help you in your journey through self-reflection and self-discovery.
And don’t forget to subscribe to my weekly newsletter!